Who is it for?
Enabling your Mental Health First Aiders and MHFA Champions to refresh their skills, the same way your physical first-aiders do, is a great way to demonstrate your organisation’s commitment to treating mental health and physical health equally. Investing in the course will give you the confidence that your Mental Health First Aiders and MHFA Champions are performing their role safely and effectively.
We recommend that Mental Health First Aiders and MHFA Champions attend a Refresher course every three years. Just like physical first aid, updating skills and knowledge allows people to perform this vital role confidently and safely.
What will I learn on the half day MHFA Refresher Course?
The four hour Refresher course will support your Mental Health First Aiders and MHFA Champions by:
- Renewing their skills
- Updating their knowledge of mental health support
- Giving them the chance to practise applying the Mental Health First Aid action plan
Learning takes place through a mix of presentations, group discussions and workshop activities.
Refresher topics include:
- About mental health
- Stress and factors which influence mental health
- Mental Health Continuum and stigma
- Frame of Reference and non-judgement
- Reintroducing ALGEE
- Warning signs of mental ill health
- Depression and anxiety
- Suicide and first aid for suicidal crisis
- Psychosis and first aid for severe psychotic episodes
- More mental health conditions
- Practising our MHFA skills
- Self-care, wellbeing and recovery
Delegates will receive a workbook and MHFA manual.