Who is it for?
Anyone over 16, especially useful for managers, HR and First Aiders (physical).
What will I learn on the 2 day Mental Health First Aid course?
- To identify the early signs of mental ill health.
- Confidence in starting a conversation about mental health.
- To provide help to prevent mental ill health from getting worse, and aid quicker recovery.
- To feel confident guiding someone towards appropriate support.
The course is delivered in four sections, each with a focus on how to apply Mental Health First Aid skills.
- Why Mental Health First Aid (MHFA)?
- The MHFA action plan
- What is mental health?
- Impact of mental health issues
- Stigma and discrimination
- What is depression?
- Symptoms and risk factors for depression
- Depression in the workplace
- Suicide figures
- Alcohol, drugs and mental health
- First aid for suicidal crisis
- Non-judgemental listening skills
- First aid for depression
- Treatment and resources for depression
- What is an anxiety disorder?
- First aid for anxiety disorders
- Crisis first aid after a traumatic event
- Alcohol, drugs and anxiety disorders
- Treatment and resource for anxiety disorder
- Cognitive distortions and CBT
- Personality disorders
- Eating disorders and self harm
- What is psychosis?
- Risk factors for psychosis
- Alcohol, drugs and psychosis
- Bipolar disorder
- Warning signs of developing psychosis
- Crisis first aid for acute psychosis
- Treatment and resources for psychosis
- Recovery and building resources
- Action planning for using MHFA
Everyone who attends the course will receive a copy of the Mental Health First Aid Manual, Workbook and Line Manager’s Resource to help support their mental health first aid practice.